MOUNDSOLV Version 4 Is Now Available!
MOUNDSOLV is software for the evaluation of groundwater mounding beneath rectangular and circular recharge sources overlying unconfined and perched aquifers.
Use MOUNDSOLV to simulate the growth of a groundwater mound under transient and steady-state conditions with analytical solutions by Zlotnik et al. (2017), Hantush (1967) and Khan et al. (1976).
Interpret groundwater mounding simulations with visualization and analysis tools (contour, profile, time series and sensitivity plots plus a detailed report) built right into MOUNDSOLV.
"I was very happy with the ease of use and quality of the plots produced with MOUNDSOLV. You have great products, and the clear tutorials are fabulous." Karen Johnston (Managed Recharge)
What Is MOUNDSOLV?
MOUNDSOLV is a versatile software tool from HydroSOLVE, Inc. for the assessment of groundwater mounding beneath rectangular or circular recharge sources that infiltrate water to unconfined or perched aquifers.
In MOUNDSOLV v4, we've added a transient mounding solution for circular recharge sources overlying unconfined aquifers (Hantush 1967), multiple recharge sources for the Zlotnik et al. (2017) and Hantush (1967) methods, sensitivity analysis and many other enhancements.
Please note that MOUNDSOLV is a standalone application which does not require a copy of AQTESOLV (our popular software for aquifer test analysis) or any external graphics package.
Use MOUNDSOLV to evaluate impacts due to groundwater mounding in the design and assessment of groundwater recharge/infiltration BMPs:
- Stormwater infiltration structures
- Sewage disposal/septic systems
- Managed aquifer recharge
- Runoff exfiltration (e.g., drywells)
- Flooding potential at nearby structures
MOUNDSOLV provides you with easy-to-use tools for assessing groundwater mounding conditions:
- Simulate more than one BMP
- Predict maximum height of a groundwater mound
- Plot water-table rise due to mounding along profiles
- Forecast water-table rise at user-specified monitoring points
- Simulate decay of mound after recharge stops
- Optimize drainage time and footprint of BMPs
- Account for horizontal or sloping initial water table (aquifer slope)
- Rotate infiltration BMPs with respect to map axes and/or aquifer slope
- View results in graphical and report formats
- Perform sensitivity analysis
- Copy and paste plots and reports into other documents
- Print or save plots and reports
Groundwater Mounding Analysis Made Easy
Step 1: Enter Data
Enter all of the data required for a groundwater mounding simulation in the Model Input window. English and metric units of measurement are supported. Context-sensitive help guides you through the data entry process and detailed online documentation is only a mouse click away.
Step 2: View Results
The Results window provides you with options for visualizing mounding simulation results with contour, profile, time-series and sensitivity plots as well as a detailed report.
Copy and paste a plot or report into other documents. Print or save results in image (.bmp, .emf, .gif, .jpg or .png) or report (.htm) formats.
Step 3: Optimize Design Parameters
MOUNDSOLV provides high-performance optimization tools to assist in the design of an infiltration structure's size (footprint) and drainage time subject to a user-specified constraint such as the depth to the seasonal high water table (SWHT). When you apply the optimization tools, the Results window gives you immediate visual feedback for assessing the impact of optimized design parameters.
MOUNDSOLV predicts the rise of the water table beneath a recharge source using mathematical solutions by
- Zlotnik et al. (2017) transient and steady-state methods for rectangular recharge sources overlying horizontal or uniformly sloping unconfined aquifers
- Hantush (1967) transient method for circular recharge sources overlying horizontal unconfined aquifers
- Khan et al. (1976) 2D and 3D steady-state methods for perched aquifers
The Zlotnik et al. (2017) solutions implemented in MOUNDSOLV permit arbitrary orientation of both the aquifer dip and the recharge source through independent rotation angles, and , respectively. The angle is the rotation of the aquifer dip from the axis and the angle is the rotation of the axis of the recharge source from the dip direction as shown in the figure below.
The Zlotnik et al. (2017) mounding solutions included in MOUNDSOLV allow you to simulate horizontal and sloping aquifers as well as transient and steady-state conditions. The Zlotnik et al. solutions improve upon an earlier solution by Hantush (1967) for a rectangular source which limits you to a horizontal aquifer under transient conditions.
MOUNDSOLV is a 64-bit application intended for recent versions of the Windows operating system.
- Windows 10 version 1607 and higher/Windows 11 (64-bit)
- 10 MB free hard disk space
- 32 MB RAM (used by app)
- Quad-core CPU or better (recommended)
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a demo version of MOUNDSOLV and experience the features and capabilities of the software.
- Do I need any other software to use MOUNDSOLV?
- No. MOUNDSOLV is a self-contained product. You do not need a copy of AQTESOLV (our popular software for aquifer test analysis) or any external graphics package.
- Can I simulate steady mound buildup with MOUNDSOLV?
- Yes. You may use MOUNDSOLV to model the buildup (growth) of a groundwater mound for a specified duration of constant recharge.
- Can I simulate mound buildup and decay with MOUNDSOLV?
- Yes. You have the option to use MOUNDSOLV for modeling both the buildup (growth) of a groundwater mound and its decay (recovery) after recharge/infiltration has ended.
- Can I assess groundwater mounding at nearby structures with MOUNDSOLV?
- Yes. You may enter monitoring points in MOUNDSOLV to predict mounding growth and decay at locations of interest.
- How is MOUNDSOLV different from other groundwater mounding software?
- Other software for groundwater mounding analysis may assume an aquifer with horizontal base and horizontal initial water table as required by a transient analytical solution by Hantush (1967); however, not all aquifers meet these assumptions. Therefore, MOUNDSOLV includes a more advanced mathematical solution by Zlotnik et al. (2017) that accommodates both horizontal and dipping aquifers. In addition, you may simulate transient and steady-state conditions with MOUNDSOLV.
- Can I simulate mounding in perched aquifers?
- MOUNDSOLV includes 2D and 3D solutions by Khan et al. (1976) for simulating steady-state mounds due to infiltration from strip and circular sources.
- Can I simulate more than one recharge source (BMP)?
- You may simulate more than one recharge source with the mounding solutions by Zlotnik et al. (2017) and Hantush (1967) available to you in MOUNDSOLV.
- Can I use metric units in MOUNDSOLV?
- Yes, you may specify metric or English units in the software.
- Where can I find documentation for the software?
- In-depth documentation and FAQ for MOUNDSOLV are available online. Press F1 in the software to access the online help directly from the software (internet connection required). HydroSOLVE updates the documentation regularly.
- Does MOUNDSOLV run on Windows 11?
- Yes! As you can see in the screenshot below, MOUNDSOLV works just fine on Windows 11.
MOUNDSOLV is available from HydroSOLVE, Inc. at the affordable price of USD $200 for a single-user license and one year of maintenance. Maintenance renewal is available for USD $75 annually.
Purchase a single-user license and one year of maintenance for MOUNDSOLV through our secure payment gateway.
Upon receipt of payment, HydroSOLVE, Inc. will send you an email with instructions for downloading, installing and activating the software.
All sales are final. All prices are subject to change.
MOUNDSOLV is a standalone product and does not require your having a license for AQTESOLV. AQTESOLV does not include the new mounding solutions found in MOUNDSOLV.
MOUNDSOLV is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. If you have a question, please follow the steps below to get quick answers to your questions about the software.
Help: Step 1
Help: Step 2
Context Help in the description area of the Model Input window provides quick reminders about input parameters.
Help: Step 3
Help: Step 4
HydroSOLVE, Inc. provides software support via email for one year from the date of your MOUNDSOLV purchase (additional support beyond the first year is available with annual maintenance). Be sure to include your contact information and software serial number in the email to email@example.com with your question.
Please limit your inquiries to the operation of the software. Questions relating to your project, site, hydrogeologic parameter selection, engineering design, interpretation of results or other professional advice are not included in software support.